Asiaphile is a term that can be used in the pejorative or non-pejorative sense as a label for a person who has an Asian fetish or an abnormal obsession for all things Asian.
Pejorative usage of the term in the media
Phoebe Eng uses the term to describe men who are willing to violate social norms for their obsession.
|“||Only one know instinctively that congregating can cut them off from the general flow of a gathering, forming a social boundary that only the most enthusiastic Asiaphile would want to transcend.||”|
Sheridan Prasso calls a website an "Asiaphile Homepage" that is part of the "proliferation" of sites on the internet that caters to the stereotypes that people have towards Asian females.
In a collection of writings from Asian-American females, "YELL-Oh Girls!", Meggy Wang calls a man "Mr. Asiaphile". "Mr. Asiaphile" is described as a man who runs a site that he uses to justify his Asian fetish. Meggy Wang goes on to critique this man's Asian fetish by writing the following:
|“||Selective attraction to "Asian characteristics" and a desire for Asian women as objects are closely related and cannot be disguised or brushed over by romantic dressing. The problem is ignoring the parts of societal and historical context that determine person-to-person interaction AS WELL AS racial domination.||”|
Non-Pejorative usage of the term in the media
Edwin C. called himself an "Asiaphile", partly because of his great interest in Japanese miniature carvings.
Ronald Lake uses the term as a label for people who invests mainly in Asian financial products.
- Eng, Phoebe (2000). "She Takes Back Desire", Warrior Lessons : An Asian American Woman's Journey into Power. New York: Atria, 115–142. ISBN 0671009575.
- Prasso, Sheridan (2005). "'Race-ism,' Fetish, and Fever", The Asian Mystique. Cambridge, MA: Perseus Books, 148–151. ISBN 9781586483944.
- Nam, Vicky (2001). YELL-oh Girls!. Harper Paperbacks, 131–132. ISBN 0060959444.
- Edwin C., Jr. Symmes (1995). Netsuke: Japanese Life and Legend in Miniature. Sheridan Prasso, 15. ISBN 0804820260.
- Ronald A Lake (2003). Evaluating and Implementing Hedge Fund Strategies: The Experience of Managers and Investors, Third Edition. Euromoney Institutional Investor, 267. ISBN 1843740516.