Template:Nofootnotes Candis Cayne is an American actress and transsexual performer best known for her appearances in the New York City club scene. Nationally, she appeared in the independent films Wigstock: The Movie, To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, "Starrbooty", and Stonewall. As of October 2007 she plays transgender mistress Carmelita on ABC's primetime soap Dirty Sexy Money making her the first transsexual to play a transsexual in prime time.
Cayne won the 2001 Miss Continental pageant.
Early life[edit | edit source]
When she was young, Cayne's parents moved from California to Maui to teach at a Waldorf school and the family lived on campus. After high school she moved to Los Angeles and got a job on a cruise ship for a few months to raise money for a move to New York.
New York City[edit | edit source]
In New York, Cayne started performing as 'Candis Cayne' at Boy Bar, a gay bar in early 1990s New York City and participating in Wigstock, the annual drag festival in the East Village. Her participation in Wigstock led to her being asked to do choreography for To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, and led to a role in the movie Stonewall. Cayne began transitioning in 1996. In 1997 Cayne co-starred in the RuPaul music video A Little Bit of Love with fellow drag icon Jazzmun. She also appeared as the lead role in the 1998 independent film Mob Queen.
Present day[edit | edit source]
Cayne has regular work as a performer at various bars and clubs around New York City. She has also appeared in several film and TV roles as well as a number of plays and musical theatre projects. She does occasional glamour modelling and is attempting to develop a dance music career. Her relationship was rekindled with RuPaul when Ru cast Candis as Annaka Manners in the 2007 film Starrbooty. That same year Cayne also played Carmelita, a transsexual who is having an affair with married New York Attorney General Patrick Darling (played by William Baldwin), in the serial drama Dirty Sexy Money.
References[edit | edit source]
- Piepenburg, Eric (November 6, 2004). Keep Your Eye on the Road (If You Can). New York Times
- Brownworth, Victoria A. (18 October 2007). October Surprises. Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved on 2007-10-20.
- Venus, Michael (2002). Michael Venus Profiles: Candis Cayne. YouTube
- Metro.co.uk (March 13, 2008). Transsexual beauty makes TV history. Accessed 2008-03-14.
[edit | edit source]
- Candis Cayne website
- Candis Cayne at the Internet Movie Database
- Candis Cayne gallery
- Candis Cayne gallery
- Candis Cayne profile
- Interview from 2002 on YouTube
- Music Video on YouTube
- Candis Cayne hosts NewNowNext Awards for LOGO
- September 2007 Interview about Dirty Sexy Money on TelevisionWithoutPity.com
- November 2007 KITV Hawaii article and video about Candis Cayne and TV show Dirty Sexy Money