|Celebrate Bisexuality Day|
|Also called||Bisexual Pride Day|
|Observed by||Bisexual community and their families, friends and allies|
|Observances||Teach-ins, Poetry reading, Concerts, Festivals, Parties, Picnics|
|Related to||LGBT Pride|
This day is a call for bisexual people and their families, friends and allies to recognize and celebrate bisexuality, bisexual history, Bisexual community and culture, and the bisexual people in their lives.
First observed in 1999, Celebrate Bisexuality Day is the brainchild of three United States bisexual rights activists — Wendy Curry of Maine, Michael Page of Florida, and Gigi Raven Wilbur of Texas. Wilbur said,
|“||Ever since the Stonewall rebellion, the gay and lesbian community has grown in strength and visibility. The bisexual community also has grown in strength but in many ways we are still invisible. I too have been conditioned by society to automatically label a couple walking hand in hand as either straight or gay, depending upon the perceived gender of each person.||”|
This celebration of bisexuality in particular, as opposed to general LGBT events, was conceived as a response to the prejudice and marginalization of the bisexual persons by some in both the straight and greater LGBT communities.
In its first year, an observance was held during the International Lesbian and Gay Association, which occurred during the week of the 23rd. While at first it only took hold in areas with an extremely strong bisexual presence, it now features event such as discussions, dinner parties and dances in Toronto and a large masquerade ball in Queensland, Australia. At Texas A&M University, the week featured discussion panels and question-and-answer sessions. Princeton University celebrates this day each year by throwing a party at its LGBT Center. The highlight of the party are yummy sugar cookies in the image of the Bisexual Pride flag. It has also been celebrated in Germany, Japan, New Zealand, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
- ↑ Yes, 23 is everywhere. The Planet Star. http://www.thestar.com/News/article/181696
- ↑ Weekend Festivities Celebrate Bisexuality. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=BG&p_theme=bg&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EADDE74689F182A&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM
- ↑ Celebrate Bisexuality Day. University of Calgary Undergraduate Student Newsweekly. http://gauntlet.ucalgary.ca/story/4429
- ↑ BiSexuality Day. Celebrate Bisexuality Day. http://www.gay.com/news/article.html?1999/09/23/2
- ↑ Celebrate Bisexuality day" press release. http://www.egale.ca/index.asp?lang=E&menu=42&item=1078
- ↑ Toronto Bisexual Network: Celebrate Bisexuality Day http://www.torontobinet.org/culture.htm
- ↑ Day celebrates bisexuality, dispels myths. The Michigan Daily. http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1999/sep/09-24-99/news/news2.html
- ↑ Bi Community Celebrates. Bay Windows; 9/25/2003, Vol. 21 Issue 41, p3-3, 1/4p
- ↑ Scene Around Town. Bay Windows; 9/28/2000, pN.PAG, 00p
- ↑ Texas A&M University Gender Issues Education Center Programs and Events http://studentlife.tamu.edu/giec/programs.htm
- ↑ Bisexuality Day. http://planetout.com/news/article.html?1999/09/23/2
- ↑ Bikonferens - Bisexual Conference in Sweden during Celebrate Bisexuality Day! http://www.ilga-europe.org/europe/guide/country_by_country/sweden/bikonferens_bisexual_conference_in_sweden_during_celebrate_bisexuality_day
- ↑ UK Events to mark International Celebrate Bisexuality Day http://september23.bi.org/
- International Celebrate Bisexuality Day
- A Celebrate Bisexuality Day Announcement
- Celebrating Bisexuality by Wendy Curry in BiWomen Vol. 17 No. 6 Dec 1999/Jan 2000
- What's in a Name? by Wendy Curry in Curried Spam September 2007
Rey kills Palpatine.
Palpatine kills Kylo.
Palpatine returns in the movie.
Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter.
American Institute of Bisexuality · Bialogue · BiCon (UK) · BiFest · BiNet USA · Bisexual Resource Center · Bisexual pride flag · Bisexual Pride Day · International Conference on Bisexuality · New York Area Bisexual Network · Bay Area Bisexual Network · Transcending Boundaries Conference · Media portrayals of bisexuality
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Celebrate Bisexuality Day. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|