Genderism is the cultural belief that gender is a binary, or that there are, or should be, only two genders — male and female — and that the aspects of one's gender are inherently linked to the sex in which they were assigned at birth. It can reinforce negative attitudes, bias, and discrimination towards people who display expressions of gender variance or nonconformity and/or whose gender identity is incongruent with their birth sex. Genderism is of particular relevance to individuals who fall within the transgender spectrum, and is the overarching ideology responsible for transphobia and gender bashing. In addition, much like how transphobia is parallel to homophobia, genderism is said to be parallel to heterosexism.
- List of transgender-related topics
- Gender binary
- Gender variance
- Trans bashing
- Discrimination towards non-binary gender persons
- Violence against LGBT people
- Shirley R. Steinberg (1 April 2009). Diversity and Multiculturalism: A Reader. Peter Lang, 229–230. ISBN 978-1-4331-0345-2. Retrieved on 10 September 2012.
- (1 November 2011) The Lives of Transgender People. Columbia University Press, 89–90. ISBN 978-0-231-51261-9. Retrieved on 10 September 2012.
- Derald Wing Sue (26 July 2010). Microaggressions and Marginality: Manifestation, Dynamics, and Impact. John Wiley & Sons, 224. ISBN 978-0-470-49139-3. Retrieved on 11 September 2012.
- The Psychology Of Prejudice And Discrimination. ABC-CLIO, 2. ISBN 978-0-275-98234-8. Retrieved on 11 September 2012.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Genderism. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|