Stonewall Shooting Sports of Utah is a group of gender- and sexual-minority firearms advocates and owners in Utah, and supporters of the Pink Pistols idea that was described nationally in 2000 by writer Jonathan Rauch for the legal, responsible and safe use of firearms for their self defense and shooting-sport competition and recreation, including those who are gay and lesbian, and that of their families and friends. Founded in 2002 with hundreds of members, it's the largest such group worldwide.
The group is officially multipartisan, but recognizes that most gay Americans identify as Democrats. The group promotes more than 50 Democratic self-defense groups including Amendment II Democrats, Armed Liberals, Blue Steel Democrats, Gun Toting Liberals, Liberals with Guns, Pro-Gun Progressives and Second Amendment Democrats.
Members of the group are encouraged to campaign for candidates and lobby for public policies which support their interests in the U.S. Second Amendment and the protection of equal rights for gay Americans. They worked successfully for state legislation which protects the right of students to possess legally concealed firearms on public college campuses and to eliminate gun-free policies at Salt Lake County, Utah government public property.
- Salon.com: "Pink pistols," March 14, 2000
- Salt Lake Tribune, The (UT): "Utah Gays Ready for Trouble," Jan. 21, 2003
- American Political Science Association (Washington): "Issues in American Politics: Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, and the Electorate," 2006
- Deseret News, The (Salt Lake City, UT): "Gay Democrats back gun rights," May 7, 2005
- Salt Lake Tribune, The (UT): "Against gun restrictions," Feb. 14, 2007
- GayWired.com "Gay Event Unravels Weapons Ban in Utah," April 21, 2007
- Stonewall Shooting Sports of Utah
- GayLinkNews.com: "Police chief apologizes about gun ejection," July 18, 2007
- Salt Lake Tribune, The (UT): "Rolly: The competing rights of packing a gun and peaceable assembly," June 9, 2007
- Salt Lake Tribune, The (UT): "S. Jordan's Tobias a rebel with many causes," May 31, 2006
- Salt Lake Tribune, The (UT): "Advocacy groups: Lesbian's death was a hate crime," June 18, 2005
- Salt Lake Tribune, The (UT): "Gun control pros and cons charge up 'Freedom Forum,'" Sept. 30, 2004
- Deseret News, The (Salt Lake City, UT): "Gun-rights group touts new 'word,'" Dec. 29, 2003
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Stonewall Shooting Sports of Utah. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|